Flashback Fun! Florida Tech Homecoming Week Features Music, Sports and More
‘50s-Themed Festivities Begin Oct. 12
with Kickoff at Crawford Green
MELBOURNE, FLA. — Florida Institute of Technology’s Homecoming 2016 celebration, with the theme “Party Like It’s 1958,” the year the university was founded, will offer something for just about everyone.
Running Oct. 12-15, the annual gathering of alumni, faculty, staff, students and community members from across the Space Coast and points beyond will feature a carnival, live sporting events, an awards gala and much more.
It all starts at 6:30 p.m. Oct. 12 with the Homecoming Kickoff sponsored by Greek Life. The two-hour event, happening at Crawford Green on the Florida Tech campus, will offer food and giveaways, the introduction of the Homecoming King and Queen, and other activities and games.
The opening day also features a 7 p.m. soccer match between Florida Tech and Nova Southeastern at Rick Stottler Field, and a late-night hockey battle between the Panthers and the Eagles. That starts at 9:45 p.m. at the Space Coast Iceplex in Rockledge.
Here’s a look at other highlights of Homecoming:
Thursday, Oct. 13
- 6 p.m.: Meg O’Malley’s presents the FIT Homecoming 5K Walk/Run in downtown Melbourne. Features tech T-shirts, goody bags and a post-race party at Meg’s. New this year: a virtual 5K race is offered. Visit http://homecoming.fit.edu/run.php to register and for more information.
- 8-10 p.m.: You’ve just shown your talent for running. Now see what talents Florida Tech students have as they put on a talent show at Clemente Center.
Friday, Oct. 14
- 6 p.m.-midnight: Homecoming Fest in downtown Melbourne. The Florida Tech Alumni Association has joined forces with Melbourne Mainstreet to create a memorable evening featuring street vendors, food, drinks and music from Wyclef Jean. Check out http://homecoming.fit.edu/fest.php for more details.
Saturday, Oct. 15
- 11 a.m.: Tailgate party on campus.
- 1-4 p.m.: Homecoming football game: Panthers vs. the Fort Valley State Wildcats at Florida Tech Panther Stadium. More information and tickets at http://homecoming.fit.edu/football.php.
- 6-10 p.m.: Homecoming Awards Gala, Clemente Center. Dinner and awards, including the presentation of the Jerome P. Keuper Distinguished Alumni Award, followed by dancing and live music. Registration at http://homecoming.fit.edu/gala.php.
- 6-10 p.m. Carnival at Crawford Green. Back for a second year after its successful debut in 2015, this fun event will include food trucks and carnival games amid a 1950s theme.
- 7 p.m.: Florida Tech takes on Florida Southern in a women’s soccer contest at Rick Stottler Field.
For additional information on these and other Homecoming events and activities, visit http://homecoming.fit.edu/index.php.