Center for World University Rankings
Reviewed 27,700 Institutions
MELBOURNE, FLA. — Florida Institute of Technology is in the top 3 percent of more than 27,700 degree-granting institutions of higher education worldwide, according to the 2017 World University Rankings.
The comprehensive rankings from the Center for World University Rankings looked at colleges and universities from around the world and used eight criteria to develop its list of the top 1,000, which is topped by Harvard University and also includes international standouts such as the University of Cambridge.
Florida Tech was ranked No. 728 on the 2017 World University Rankings, or in the top 2.7 percent of the 27,770 ranked global universities. The rankings measure the quality of education and training of students as well as the prestige of the faculty members and the quality of their research – without relying on surveys and university data submissions.
The criteria are:
- Quality of education, measured by the number of a university’s alumni who have won major international awards, prizes, and medals relative to the university’s size.
- Alumni employment, measured by the number of a university’s alumni who have held CEO positions at the world’s top companies relative to the university’s size.
- Quality of faculty, measured by the number of academics who have won major international awards, prizes and medals.
- Publications, measured by the number of research papers appearing in reputable journals.
- Influence, measured by the number of research papers appearing in highly-influential journals.
- Citations, measured by the number of highly-cited research papers.
- Broad impact, measured by the university’s h-index, which tabulates the number of scholarly papers generated by faculty and the citations of those papers.
- Patents, measured by the number of international patent filings.
The quality of education, alumni employment and quality of faculty criteria comprise 75 percent of the rankings, with the remaining areas each worth 5 percent.
Find the full list at http://cwur.org/2017.php.
Its inclusion on the World University Rankings list continues a strong year of recognition for the Melbourne, Florida-based university:
- Florida Tech was again named a Best National University in the 2018 S. News & World Report best colleges guide, rising 20 spots to No. 151 in the rankings.
- Fiske Guide to Colleges named Florida Tech one of the “best and most interesting institutions in the nation” in its 2018 guide.
- Florida Tech was ranked No. 11 of the 20 fastest-growing U.S. colleges in The Chronicle of Higher Education Almanac 2017.