In the News: Florida Tech’s Initiatives Surrounding COVID-19
The Florida Tech community is coming together in a variety of ways amid the coronavirus pandemic. From 3D printing face shields for healthcare workers to successfully transitioning campus life online – these efforts aren’t going unnoticed.
Browse through the initiatives that are making headlines below.
(This list will be continuously updated with the most recent news coverage.)
Florida Tech In the News
- Florida Tech Announces Details for Safe Resumption of Classes. Florida Tech Newsroom. (June 25, 2020).
- Florida Tech Virtual Summer Commencement Set for July 31. Florida Tech Newsroom. (June 19, 2020).
- weVENTURE Awarded $420K to Expand Support for Pandemic-Affected Businesses. Florida Tech Newsroom. (June 8, 2020)
- Florida Tech professor Geoffrey Swain authored an article on COVID-19 and biofouling. Maritime Reporter and Engineering News. (May 26, 2020).
- Sports columnist Mike Bianchi discusses Florida Tech’s decision to discontinue the football program. Orlando Sentinel. (May 14, 2020).
- Florida Tech Grads Celebrate Commencement from Home Amid COVID-19. Florida Today. (May 9, 2020)
- Florida Tech’s Ruth Funk Center for Textile Arts Offers Digital Tours of Popular Exhibits. Florida Today. (May 13, 2020)
- Rian Mehta, assistant professor of aviation, weighs in on current airline industry trends amidst COVID-19. Forbes. (May 4, 2020).
- Florida Tech Cancels Summer Camps due to COVID-19. Florida Today. (April 27, 2020)
- Florida Tech Cancels 2020 Summer Camps. Hometown News. (April 27, 2020).
- In a roundup titled How 10 institutions are helping to fight the coronavirus, Florida Tech’s initiative to 3D print face shields was featured in the number one spot. eCampus News. (April 22, 2020).
- Florida Tech hopes to salvage graduation dreams with virtual commencement. Florida Today. (April 17, 2020).
- Florida Tech announces virtual commencement. Hometown News. (April 16, 2020).
- University team developing 3D face shields. Hometown News. (April 16, 2020)
- Shem Malmquist, visiting professor in the Florida Tech College of Aeronautics, was interviewed on the Michigan NPR station WGVU about air travel amid the coronavirus pandemic. (April 14, 2020)
- Florida Tech’s face shield production was featured in a front-page story in Florida Today. (April 14, 2020).
- Spectrum News 13 came to campus to report on the efforts led by College of Engineering and Science Dean Marco Carvalho to use Florida Tech’s 3D printers to produce face shields for Space Coast health workers. (April 13, 2020). Story available through May 14.
- Florida Tech group uses school resources to fabricate face shields for health care workers. Florida Politics. (April 12, 2020).
- Daniel Batcheldor, head of Aerospace, Physics and Space Sciences at Florida Tech, on how to watch April’s astronomy events from home. Florida Today. (April 7, 2020).
- Larsen Motorsports in the News for Virtual Field Trips.
- Florida Tech to Use Donations for Student Assistance through May. Hometown News. (April 4, 2020).
- Florida Tech joins #LightTheSky movement to honor healthcare workers. Florida Today. (March 30, 2020).
- Economics professor Mike Slotkin on the Coronavirus impact on spring break. Florida Today. (March 25, 2020).
- Florida Tech historian Gordon Patterson weighs in on how the pandemic is changing life as we know it. Florida Today. (March 13, 2020).
- Psychology professor Victoria Follette offers mental health advice. Florida Today. (Feb. 28, 2020).
- Florida Tech historian Gordon Patterson writes opinion piece on preparing for the next public health crisis. Florida Today. (Feb. 7, 2020).
- In a two-part Q&A series, psychology expert Felipa Chavez offers guidance that parents can use to help their kids understand and cope with the COVID-19 crisis.
Find Florida Tech’s latest information regarding COVID-19 on the Coronavirus Updates page.