Panthers Fall 7-2 against Spartans in Womens SSC Tennis Action
TAMPA, Fla. (women’s tennis) — Florida Tech fell 7-2 in Sunday’s match-up between the Panthers and host Sunshine State Conference school Tampa Spartans.
Sophomore captain Nicole David (Fort Piece, Fla.) has really come on strong this past week going 2-for 1 against three conference foes in both singles and
doubles. David along with junior Michaela Horvathova (Bratislava, Slovakia) were the only wins on the day.
In #1 singles action Horvathova defeated Erin Heeder 6-4, 6-4 in a tough fought match. David again took control at the #3 spot picking up a big win 7-6,
6-4 valiantly fighting every point for the victory. Senior Tania Gay (Caracas, Venezuela) and freshman Andrea Madrigal (San Jose, Puerto Rico) were the
only other Panthers to take a point from each of their singles sets.
In doubles the #1 and #2 matches were close with #1 tandem Natalia Ramos (San Juan, Puerto Rico) and Horvathova taking it to an 8-5 loss. David and
Madrigal paired up for a heated battle unfortunately falling 9-7 in the #2 doubles match.
Tennis Match Results
Florida Tech vs University of Tampa
02/24/07 at Tampa, Fla.
University of Tampa 7, Florida Tech 2
1. Michaela Horvathova (FTW) def. Erin Heeder (UT) 6-4, 6-4
2. Jessica Faber (UT) def. Andrea Madrigal (FTW) 6-1, 6-0
3. Nicole David (FTW) def. Lindsey McLendon (UT) 7-6, 6-4
4. Caitlin Scudder (UT) def. Tania Gay (FTW) 6-1, 6-0
5. Kourtney Stark (UT) def. Aya Nakatsuji (FTW) 6-0, 6-0
6. Allison Beck (UT) def. Valerie Rapson (FTW) 6-0, 6-0
1. Erin Heeder/Jessica Faber (UT) def. Natalia Ramos/Michaela Horvathova (FTW) 8-5
2. Kourtney Stark/Jamie Lieberman (UT) def. Nicole David/Andrea Madrigal (FTW) 9-7
3. Caitlin Scudder/Allison Beck (UT) def. Tania Gay/Aya Nakatsuji (FTW) 8-1