MELBOURNE, Fla. (women’s tennis) — Florida Tech (4-6) finally pulls off their first 5-4 victory of the season after their sixth match that was decided on the
final singles result for the day. The Panthers edged the Highlanders of New Jersey Tech (4-3) upsetting the NCAA Division I program.
“This was a huge victory for the women defeating the DI team despite still not being 100% healthy,” said head coach Bill Macom. “Valerie was the key to our
win today coming through in the #6 spot.”
Freshman Valerie Rapson (Rochester, N.Y.) notched her first collegiate win overhauling Grace Bogdan 6-3, 6-4 in the #6 singles action.
Also in singles action junior Mikaela Horvathova (Bratislava, Slovakia) has won her last three matches defeating Iulia Doci 6-4, 6-2 at the #1 spot.
Freshman Andrea Madrigal (San Jose, Costa Rica) is now 7-3 in the season after today’s victory at the #2 downing Fatima Kasem 6-4, 6-1.
Tandem pair Madrigal and sophomore Nicole David (Fort Pierce, Fla.) won their 6th doubles match in a hard fought battle 9-7. David has the most wins of the
season in doubles action with eight wins; 6-1 with Madrigal and 2-1 with senior Tania Gay (Caracas, Venezuela).
Horvathova and freshman Natalie Ramos (San Juan, Puerto Rico) won 8-4 against Doci and Kasem in the #1 spot picking up their fifth tandem win. Ramos
recently returned to action after two surgeries over the holiday break. Ramos was ranked 8th in the region and the pair were ranked 12 in the region in the
last poll released in the Fall.
The Panthers will be back in action tomorrow hosting Johns Hopkins at noon and the men starting at 2:00 p.m. Both teams will play an exhibition match
against the University of Oxford on Thursday, March 15th at 4:30 p.m. at the Kiwi Tennis Club in conjunction with the Florida Tech “Study Abroad” Program.
Tennis Match Results
New Jersey Tech vs Florida Tech
03/13/07 at Melbourne, Fla.
Florida Tech 5, New Jersey Tech 4
1. Michaela Horvathova (FTW) def. Iulia Doci (NJIT) 6-4, 6-2
2. Andrea Madrigal (FTW) def. Fatima Kasem (NJIT) 6-4, 6-1
3. Isha Toor (NJIT) def. Natalia Ramos (FTW) 6-2, 6-4
4. Fanny Aizier (NJIT) def. Nicole David (FTW) 6-1, 6-1
5. Chiori Koike (NJIT) def. Tania Gay (FTW) 6-1, 6-4
6. Valerie Rapson (FTW) def. Grace Bogdan (NJIT) 6-3, 6-4
1. Michaela Horvathova/Natalia Ramos (FTW) def. Iulia Doci/Fatima Kasem (NJIT) 8-4
2. Andrea Madrigal/Nicole David (FTW) def. Isha Toor/Fanny Aizier (NJIT) 9-7
3. Chiori Koike/Marine Henry (NJIT) def. Tania Gay/Valerie Rapson (FTW) 8-0
New Jersey Tech 4-3
Florida Tech 4-6
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles ()
Official: Hagar Bryant T-3:00 A-67