MELBOURNE, Fla. (women’s tennis) Despite an 8-1 decision in favor of #15 nationally ranked Rollins College Tars, Florida Tech managed to notch
their first match point in the four year history against the Tars at the #2 singles flight today at the Fee Avenue Courts.
Freshman, SSC Player for the Week, Natalia Ramos (San Juan, Puerto Rico) took Tech’s lone win on the day defeating #13 southeast regionally ranked Marnie
Mahler easily 6-2, 6-3.
Both junior Michaela Horvathova (Bratislava, Slovakia) and freshman and Andrea Madrigal (San Jose, Costa Rica) also played tight sets with Horvathova
losing to #7th nationally ranked Tasi Purcell 6-2, 7-6 while Madrigal went to tie-breaker after winning the first set 6-4 and giving up the second set 7-5
falling 10-6 in the final decision.
Florida Tech will host Palm Beach Atlantic tomorrow for senior day along with the men in a double header match at the Fee Avenue Courts beginning at noon.
Tennis Match Results
Rollins College vs Florida Tech
04/13/07 at Melbourne, Fla.
#15/#5 Rollins College 8, Florida Tech 1
1. #7/#1 Tasi Purcell (RCW) def. Michaela Horvathova (FTW) 6-2, 7-6
2. Natalia Ramos (FTW) def. #13 Marnie Mahler (RCW) 6-2, 6-3
3. Sonia Bernal (RCW) def. Andrea Madrigal (FTW) 4-6, 7-5, 10-6
4. Anastasiya Shevchenko (RCW) def. Nicole David (FTW) 6-0, 6-1
5. Silvia Frandji (RCW) def. Tania Gay (FTW) 6-1, 6-0
6. Mai-Han Nguyen (RCW) def. Aya Nakatsuji (FTW) 6-1, 6-0
1. #9/#2 Tasi Purcell/Marnie Mahler (RCW) def. #9 Michaela Horvathova/Natalia Ramos (FTW) 8-2
2. Sonia Bernal/Mai-Han Nguyen (RCW) def. Andrea Madrigal/Nicole David (FTW) 8-5
3. Silvia Frandji/AnastasiyaShevchenko (RCW) def. Tania Gay/Aya Nakatsuji (FTW) 8-0
Rollins College 18-3, 5-3; National ranking #15; Regional ranking #5
Florida Tech 8-11, 1-6
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,6,4,2,1,3)
Game rescheduled from February 13, 2006 after rain-out
Official: Hagar Bryant T-4 hours A-36