Nearly $324,000 in Scholarships, Cash Awarded to Winning Teams
MELBOURNE, FLA. —Florida Institute of Technology’s Nathan Bisk College of Business will hold its 19th Annual High School Business Ethics and Leadership Competition starting at 8:30 a.m. Friday, March 13.
More than 15 teams of high school students are scheduled to participate in the daylong competition, where they are asked to develop and analyze solutions to business ethics and leadership challenges. For the first time, students from another Central Florida county, Orange, will join their Brevard County peers in the event.
The competition, which is open to the public, will be held on the fourth floor of Crawford Tower on University Boulevard on the Florida Tech campus in Melbourne.
The daylong event is sponsored by Community Credit Union and Florida Tech.
The competition is structured as follows:
- Morning Elimination Round: 8:30-11 a.m.: Teams will develop and analyze solutions to the 2012 Bangladesh garment factory fire, which killed 112 people and injured several hundred more. The top four teams will advance.
- Lunch: 11:30 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.
- Ranking Round: 2:15-4:30 p.m.: The four final teams are given one hour to formulate an ethical solution to a different situation, unknown to them until their preparation time begins.
Judges come from a variety of career fields. They include members of the Nathan Bisk College of Business Advisory Board as well as several prominent members of the community.
In total, the competition will award $323,900 in scholarships and cash to the top four-member teams.
- The 1st place team will take home a total of $130,000 in cash and scholarships: $8,000-per-year scholarships to Florida Tech for four years and $500 in cash to each member.
- The 2nd place team will take home a total of $97,000 in cash and scholarships: $6,000-per-year scholarships to Florida Tech for four years and $250 in cash to each member.
- The 3rd place team will take home a total of $64,500 in cash and scholarships: $4,000-per-year scholarships to Florida Tech for four years and $125 in cash to each member.
- The 4th place team will take home a total of $32,400 in cash and scholarships: $2,000-per-year scholarships to Florida Tech for four years and $100 in cash to each member.