West Shore Team Wins Florida Tech’s 18th Annual High School Ethics Competition
MELBOURNE, FLA. — West Shore Junior/Senior High School in Melbourne beat out 10 other teams from high schools in Brevard and Orange counties to win the recently completed 18th Annual High School Business Ethics Competition presented by Florida Institute of Technology’s Nathan M. Bisk College of Business.
- 1st Place: West Shore Junior/Senior High School
- 2nd Place: Palm Bay High School
- 3rd Place: Apopka High School
- 4th Place: Melbourne Central Catholic
In the morning session, all the teams developed and analyzed solutions to a business ethics problem concerning Clarence Hall University, which focused on some questionable financial dealings involving donations to the university.
In the afternoon, and having only one hour to prepare, the top four schools from the morning session reviewed and analyzed a different ethical situation. The afternoon case concerned a business intern asked to present himself as something he was not. This misrepresentation, if brought to light, would severely damage his reputation and the reputation of his university.
Annually, the completion is co-sponsored by Community Credit Union. Judges come from a variety of career fields which include Nathan M. Bisk College of Business Advisory Board members, Florida Tech faculty and many prominent members of the community.
The awards to the top four schools were:
- From the Community Credit Union: $500 per member in the first-place team; $250 per member in the second-place team; $125 per member in the third-place team; and $100 per member in the fourth-place team.
- From Florida Tech: Each member of the first-place team received a four-year, $8,000-per-year scholarship to Florida Tech. A four-year, $6,000-per-year scholarship to Florida Tech went to each member of the second-place team. Third-place members each received four-year, $4,000-per-year scholarships to Florida Tech; and a four-year, $2,000-per-year scholarship to Florida Tech went to each member of the fourth-place team.