As we wind down and prepare for a new year and a new semester, let’s take a look at what’s happened in 2015!
Opening of the Digital Scholarship Lab
Our brand new Digital Scholarship Lab opened earlier this semester in the space formerly occupied by the Academic Support Center. In the lab, you can find:
- Five dual-monitor ArcGIS stations
- Three 3D printers (please submit your 3D print jobs through our website)
- One 3D optical scanner
- 4’ x 10’ LED Panel Video Wall
- One zSpace station (virtual reality/3D learning)
- A video conferencing system
Our most recent addition is the installation of the full Adobe Creative Cloud on all four Apple computers available in the lab.
The Re-birth of the Service Desk
Earlier this year, the long wooden staple of the first floor was removed to make way for a newer, more modern, more user friendly type of desk. The old wooden desk now resides in the Applied Computing Center on the third floor.
Learning and More
This year we learned about Open Access and Creative Commons, how to find and use Research Guides, and how to choose presentation software. Is there a topic you’d like to see covered in the blog in 2016? Contact Philina Richardson (email@example.com) and let us know!
Upcoming Workshops for Spring 2016
Spring 2016 will see the addition of two new workshop series to our roster: Digital Scholarship Workshops and Student Success. Featured workshops will include:
- Introduction to 3D printing
- GIS I: An introductory sampler for newcomers to ArcGIS*
- GIS II: An ArcGIS orientation*
- GIS III: Loading and displaying data in ArcGIS*
- Video production
- Research Data Management
- Citing Sources
- Finding Scholarships and Grants
Please note that some workshops (*) have limited spaces. Sign-up links will be available prior to each workshop.
Evans Library will be closed December 24, 2015 through January 3, 2016. We will reopen on Monday, January 4th at 9am. Regular semester hours will resume on Sunday, January 10th.
We hope that you have a wonderful winter break, and we’ll see you in the new year!