Breaking News! NASCAR Great Geoff Bodine Coming to Fireball Kickoff Event
Get ready to start your engines and drive over to Florida Tech this weekend. We are pleased to announce that NASCAR driver, Geoff Bodine, will be at the Fireball Run Campus Kickoff Event this Saturday in Panther Plaza! Geoff is one of the teams competing in the Fireball Run Adventurally, as well as Florida Tech’s very own Winston Scott. For all you NASCAR fans, this is your chance to meet Geoff in person and grab an autograph.
Here are some fun facts about Geoff Bodine
- In 1978, Bodine won more races than any other modified driver in recorded history and is credited in the Guinness Book of World Records with “Most wins in one season”.
- In 1982, he earned the Rookie of the Year title for his first full season in the Winston Cup.
- He was honored as one of “NASCAR’s 50 Greatest Drivers” during NASCAR’s 50th anniversary celebration.
- He introduced power steering and full-faced helmets to Winston Cup.
- He holds the track record at Atlanta Motor Speedway from his polesitting run after the track was repaved in 1997, with a speed of over 197 mph.
- Bodine is the co-owner of the Bo-Dyn Bobsled Company which created the winning bobsled for the U.S. teams, winning gold medals in both the 2002 and 2010 Winter Olympics.
- Bodine was briefly mentioned in the movie Days of Thunder for coming in third when Cole Trickle won his first race at Darlington. He is friends with Tom Cruise.
So don’t miss the Campus Kick-Off Event for the Fireball Run/ Race to Recover America’s Missing Children this Saturday at 11am.There will be games and prizes, so get there early to claim yours.
The 2011 Chevrolet Fireball Run Adventurally Southern Excursion starts Sept. 23 in Melbourne, Fla., and concludes Oct. 1 on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. The event encourages the public to come out, get autographs, and show their support for finding missing children. The 2011 rally includes nearly 50 teams who will “adventure” over 2,500 miles in 8 days, driving everything from Lamborghinis to Camaros to the Time Car from Back to the Future.