Chicken Tikka Masala
2 lbs. Boneless skinless chicken breast
6 Tbsp. Ground cumin, toasted
6 Tbsp. Paprika
4 Tbsp. Ground coriander, toasted
2 Tbsp. Ground turmeric
1 Tbsp. Cayenne pepper
4 Tbsp. Garlic, minced
4 Tbsp. Ginger, minced
1 cup Plain yogurt
4 Tbsp. Clarified butter
10 oz. Onion, sliced (about 1 large)
1 can Diced tomato (28 oz.)
½ cup Water
1 bunch Cilantro, chopped
1 cup Heavy cream
1 Tbsp. Salt
Note: Cumin and coriander seeds can be purchased at Indian or Middle Eastern markets. Dry toasted whole and ground fresh in a spice grinder. This step will greatly improve the flavor of the dish.
- Place cumin, paprika, coriander, turmeric and cayenne in a small bowl and mix together, set aside. (If using pre-ground coriander and cumin, toast them in a dry pan until they just begin to smoke, stir frequently.)
- Place yogurt, 4 Tbsp. of spice mix, 2 Tbsp. each garlic and ginger, and juice of 1 lemon in a bowl and mix together. Place chicken in yogurt mix, cover and marinate for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight for best results.
- Heat either a grill or broiler and place chicken on grill or under broiler until chicken begins to char or slightly blacken. Turn chicken over and repeat on other side, chicken will not be cooked through. Remove chicken and let rest.
- Place a large pot over medium high heat, add butter and remaining ginger and garlic and cook for 8 to 10 minutes stirring frequently until onions begin to brown.
- Add 8 Tbsp. spice mix and cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and water and stir well to combine. Remove from heat and place in a blender, blend for 1 minute until smooth. Return sauce to pan, add half of the cilantro and place over medium heat.
- Dice chicken and place into the sauce; bring to a simmer for 15 minutes to cook chicken through and for sauce to reduce.
- Add the cream, salt and juice from the lemon, return to a simmer. Taste, add more spice mix to suit your personal taste. Note: There will be some leftover spice mix.
- Remove from heat and serve with basmati rice or warm naan bread.
Kibbeh (Yield 6 pitas)
1.5 lbs. Ground beef (or lamb)
¾ cup Bulgur
1.5 cups Water
8 oz. Onion, minced
2 tsp. Ground cumin
2 tsp. Ground allspice
2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Ground black pepper
¼ cup Olive oil
1 cup Tomato, chopped
½ head Lettuce, shredded
- Place water on the stove over high heat, bring to a boil. Place bulgur in a bowl and pour water over, let rest for 30 minutes.
- Place mint and onions in a food processor and blend until finely chopped.
- In a large bowl, add beef, bulgur and spices. Mix together. Form into small, 2.5”–3” patties.
- Place a large skillet over medium high heat and add a small amount of oil. Place patties in skillet and cook 3–6 minutes per side depending on thickness until center is cooked through. Repeat as needed to cook all and hold warm.
- Heat pitas and place a few kibbeh in each. Garnish with lettuce, tomato and garlic sauce.
Garlic Sauce (1 ¼ cups)
3 Tbsp. Garlic, chopped
½ tsp. Salt
1 cup Olive oil
¼ cup Lemon juice
2 tsp. Mustard
2 Egg whites
- In a blender, add garlic, salt, lemon and mustard. Blend until smooth.
- Slowly add oil until gone, add egg whites and blend until a mayonnaise consistency is achieved.
1 box Shredded phyllo dough
½ lb. Butter, melted
2.5 qt. Heavy cream
¼ cup Sugar
½ cup + 1 Tbsp. Semolina
1 ½ cup Sugar
¾ cup Water
1 Tbsp. Rose water
½ cup Pistachios, chopped
- Thaw phyllo dough, place in a bowl and mix with melted butter, set aside.
- Place heavy cream and sugar in a large sauce pan over medium heat and bring to a light simmer. Add the semolina whisking constantly and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until thickened and smooth. Remove from heat and cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Place ¾ of the phyllo in a half-sheet pan and press firmly to the bottom. Add the cream mixture and spread out evenly on the phyllo. Top with remaining phyllo and gently press the top to seal.
- Place in a 350-degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool.
- While kanafeh is baking, prepare simple syrup by placing sugar and water in a small sauce pan over medium high heat. Mix well and bring to a simmer to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat and cool until kanafeh is finished. Add 1 Tbsp. rose water to syrup.
- After kanafeh has cooled for 15 minutes, evenly distribute the syrup over the top and garnish with chopped pistachios. Cool overnight and cut into serving size.
Stamp and Go (Salt Cod Cakes)
2 lbs. Salt cod (boneless and skinless)
1 lb. Flour
1 Tbsp. Baking powder
2 Tbsp. Old Bay Seasoning
2 tsp. Thyme leaves
2 tsp. Oregano
2 Tbsp. Salt
3 cups Milk
4 Tbsp. Butter
1 lb. Onions, diced small
1 lb. Green pepper, diced small
1 Habanero pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- Soak cod in water overnight, changing the water at least three to four times.
- Drain cod and place in a large pot, cover with water, place over medium high heat and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and rinse with cold water until cool.
- Flake fish with your hands and set aside.
- Place a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Add butter, onion, pepper and habanero, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until onions begin to clear.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, place flour, baking powder, Old Bay, thyme, oregano and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs until slightly beaten and add milk. Whisk to combine. Add liquid to the dry mix and stir to form a stiff batter.
- Gently fold in cod and vegetables.
- Heat about a half-inch of oil in a large skillet, drop batter by the tablespoon and press slightly to flatten. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and drain on paper. Serve hot.
1 lb. Cooked deveined shelled shrimp, tail shells removed
½ lb. Small scallops, cooked
1 bunch Green onion tops, chopped
3 Large red tomatoes, diced
1 Large yellow pepper, diced
1 Large red bell pepper, chopped
½ bunch Cilantro, chopped
2 Tbsp. Fresh lime juice
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Cut the shrimp into pieces and place in a large bowl with the scallops.
- Add green onion, tomatoes, bell pepper, cilantro and lime juice. Mix.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.